The roofing system of your commercial building plays a critical role in the operations of your business — it protects your valuable assets from the harsh elements, regulates the temperature inside and directs rainwater away from your foundation. However, looking for the right commercial roofing service to install, repair or replace your roof can be an overwhelming endeavor, which is why we’ve compiled this useful guide to help you in your search.
In this guide, you’ll learn about the many types of roofing solutions we offer, the basic requirements for commercial roofs and the different types of commercial roofing materials available.
Commercial Roof Installation, Repairs and Maintenance
At Capital Coating, we provide the following services for your commercial roof:
- Repair: If your commercial roof is leaking or showing other signs of damage, there is no need to worry. Our team of expert repair technicians is specially trained in all commercial roofing applications and the repairs they need to improve a roof’s functionality. Repairs are provided to all commercial roofing applications in a timely and efficient manner. Learn more about our commercial roof repair services.
- Replacement: When your commercial roofing asset is due for a replacement, whether from advanced age or storm damage, you cannot go wrong with Capital Coating, Inc. Our replacement teams are skilled in removing your old worn out roof without causing an excessive amount of disruption to your building. We take care of all debris removal so you will never have to worry about disposing of old materials. Once the replacement procedures have begun, we will work tirelessly to have your roof replaced promptly. Learn more about our commercial roof replacement options.
- Restoration: Having your roof coated is a great way to invest in your roofing system and your building. Commercial roofing assets are put through a lot here in the Northeast. With the heat of summer, large heavy amounts of snow in the winter months and being constantly exposed to all of the elements really takes its toll on your roof. This is why everyone could benefit from a roof coating. There are several ways your building and your pocketbook will directly benefit. Learn more about commercial roof coatings.
- Maintenance: We have developed our maintenance program with one thing in mind – helping our customers get the longest, worry-free life out of their commercial roofing investments. According to industry studies, not properly maintaining a roof can cut its lifespan by as much as 33.3% all the way up to 50%. Our maintenance program is here to make sure that does not happen to you. Necessary repairs and routine upkeep will be provided in a timely manner to ensure the success of your roofing system. Learn more about commercial roof maintenance.
- Inspections: Every roofing project begins and ends with a thorough, all-points roof inspection. The first allows our technicians to develop comprehensive roofing solutions specific to your roof. The second inspection is strictly for quality control. Our project manager will examine repairs, confirm your new roof was installed correctly and ensure your roof coating was applied appropriately. At Capital Coating, Inc., customer satisfaction is always our first priority. Learn more about our commercial roof inspection services.
Here at Capital Coating, Inc., we understand that when your commercial roof needs attention, it can be a stressful time for building owners and property managers. This is why we ensure all the services we provide are hassle-free and performed by trained experts.
Roofing Solutions for All Types of Commercial Roofing
At Capital Coating, we understand that every building and roofing system is different, and we have the tools and experience to service all kinds of commercial roofing materials.
Commercial buildings feature a wide variety of roofing materials, including ethylene propylene diene monomers (EPDM), polyvinyl chloride (PVC), SBS modified bitumen, thermoplastic olefin (TPO) and built-up coatings and membranes. No matter what type of material your commercial roof has, we can help.
When you hire us, our process is as follows:
- Perform a thorough inspection: When we visit your location, we start by thoroughly inspecting your roofing.
- Provide a full report: We make a note of areas of concern and provide a comprehensive report and cost estimate for repairs or replacement.
- Discuss your options: We recommend the option that is best for your roof. We understand that replacing your roof is potentially cost-prohibitive, and we won’t recommend a roof replacement if you don’t need one.
You can also extend the lifespan of your roof through routine maintenance. We would be happy to talk with you about the maintenance that your roof requires and determine the best maintenance program for your company’s building. When creating a plan, we consider the following:
- The roofing system type
- The roofing system’s age
- Amount of foot traffic on the roof
- Seasonal weather
If a roof replacement is necessary, we’ll work with you to pick the best material based on the needs of your building and your budget.
Commercial Roofing Requirements
Since commercial buildings tend to feature flat roofs, we will discuss the basic requirements for commercial flat roof systems, which are:
- Longevity: Commercial buildings tend to last half a century or more, so their roofing materials must have at least the same lifespan. This sounds challenging, but luckily manufacturers have developed high-quality materials to meet this requirement. One good thing about commercial roofs is that, because they’re not usually visible from the ground, owners of the property do not need to make curb appeal a priority.
- Durability: To pick a durable roofing material, building owners must consider the climate of their location. For instance, if your building is in a region where it hails, you’ll need to pick a strong roof that can withstand multiple hailstorms. An alternative solution is to buy a cheaper, less durable roof that you can easily replace, but opting for a long-lasting, durable roofing material that needs few repairs after hailstorms is more affordable in the long run.
- Cost-efficiency: Premium commercial flat roofs can be expensive, but they can also last many, many years, making them wise investments. Average roofs, on the other hand, are cheaper but have significantly shorter lifespans. However, in some cases, if the average roof is well maintained, it can last for just as long as a premium roof.
- Maintenance requirements: Each flat commercial roofing system type has different requirements when it comes to maintenance. Certain single-ply membranes, for instance, require routine contractor checkups. However, some manufacturers claim that their materials do not require maintenance as long as commercial roofing contractors who they endorse install the materials. Regardless of what manufacturers claim, however, you should get your roof checked at least once per year. This check-up typically costs a few hundred dollars but will ensure that your roof continues to protect your business for many years to come.
When it comes to choosing a commercial roofing material, you have plenty of options. These are some of the most commons ones:
- EPDM: EPDM, also known as rubber roofs, are widely popular around the world due to their quality and affordability. They’re made from sawdust, slate and recycled rubber from tires. If installed properly, an EPDM roof has a useable lifespan of several decades and can withstand hailstorms.
- TPO: TPO is another material used for commercial flat roofs. It differs from EPDM mainly in its heat-welded installation and white color. Whereas EPDM is usually installed with adhesives, TPO roofs can overlap at the seams and melt onto the foundations of roofing, creating a watertight, insulating seal. TPO is also hailstorm resistant and lasts roughly as long as EPDM.
- PVC: PVC roofs have the exact same chemical composition as PVC pipes. However, instead of being in the form of pipes, this PVC comes in the form of flat sheets. PVC roofing is available in various colors and, like TPO, PVC roofing is heat-welded. This material can be quite expensive.
- SPF: Although not commonly chosen by property owners, spray polyurethane foam (SPF) is an excellent alternative choice to a single-ply roof membrane. This material dries and hardens in just seconds and achieves the durability and thickness of a single-ply membrane. However, installing SPF can be costly, as contractors require specialized equipment for the installation.
- Asphalt: Asphalt, a petroleum byproduct, is used in manufacturing residential shingles. However, it’s also an excellent material for making commercial flat roofs. The gardens and rooftop parks of commercial buildings generally require asphalt decks, which can last half a century or more. Asphalt is another costly material.
- Metal: Metal roofs last for over half a century but are among the priciest commercial roofing materials, with aluminum being the most expensive type of metal roof. However, aluminum is popular because it’s lightweight and doesn’t corrode. Galvanized steel and galvalume, both of which are heavier than aluminum, are also more durable and can withstand corrosion due to their zinc coating.
Needless to say, you have lots of options to choose from. However, when making a decision, you’ll need to consider your local climate, your building needs and your budget. Keep in mind that some roofing materials, like SPF, require special training and equipment to install, which should be included when considering the affordability of the material.
Capital Coating’s Commercial Roofing Solution
Roof coatings, also known as elastomeric coatings, refer to liquid, polymer-based compounds sprayed or rolled directly onto an existing roof. When applied properly, they create a seamless, water-tight membrane.
Buildings benefit from roof coatings in many ways:
- More comfortable temperatures: If the coating on your roof is reflective or white, it won’t absorb the sun rays but will reflect them instead. This will keep the building cooler during the summer and warmer during the winter.
- Lower energy consumption: Due to the cooler temperatures, less energy will be used to power the air conditioner. This decrease in energy use will both help your business save money and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Higher ENERGY STAR® rating: A building’s ENERGY STAR® rating isn’t static. Rather, it can go up or down if changes are made to the structure. Applying a coating to your roof is an easy way to increase your building’s energy efficiency and ENERGY STAR® rating as well, which can increase its resale value.
- Improved green reputation: Depending on the goal of your company, showing clients and vendors the actions you take to make your building more environmentally friendly can be very advantageous. Green roofing achieved with a coating is an easy way to make your building greener.
- Long-lasting protection from roof leaks: An additional coating will provide extra protection from leaks, and it can even help prevent damage from mold and mildew. When professionally applied, coatings can last up to 20 years.
- Longer roof lifespan: Coating your roof can extend its lifespan, meaning that you might be able to wait for a few extra years before you have to replace it.
- Minimum maintenance: Roof coatings require less maintenance compared to alternatives. Routine inspections throughout the year will ensure that your roof performs its best.
In addition to all the above benefits, roof coatings are also popular because they can be used on so many different roofing materials, including:
Capital Coating offers two primary types of coating:
- Elastomeric: Elastomeric coatings consist of a liquid polymer-based compound that contracts and expands as a response to fluctuating temperatures, which prevents cracking.
- Spray foam: This coating is a polyurethane material that offers benefits similar to those offered by elastomeric coatings.
Our coatings have LEED and ENERGY STAR® certifications and minimize the maintenance required for roofs. Other benefits of our roof coatings include:
- Flexibility: Our coatings adhere to a broad variety of substrates. We offer coatings for metal roofs, rubber roofs, flat roofs and many more.
- Long lifespan: If professionally applied and properly maintained, roof coatings can last up to 20 years. Due to the watertight barrier they create over the roof’s original material, coatings can extend the lifespan of a roof considerably.
- Efficiency: Our coatings are white, so they reflect sunlight, which makes it easier to regulate the temperature of your facility.
Serving Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland
Capital Coating, Inc. is among the best commercial roofing companies. We provide quality services and products to all of Pennsylvania as well as New Jersey, Maryland and Delaware. Over the past 20 years, we have amassed a large number of loyal clients thanks to our high-quality service, attention to detail and high-performance products. When you choose us for your roofing needs, you can be confident that you’ll be getting the best work and customer experience.
Contact Capital Coating
If you need commercial roof repair, replacement, restoration or maintenance, get in touch with us by calling (800) 756-5746 or filling out our contact form.