As commercial flat roof repair specialists for the city of Bethlehem, PA, and the surrounding areas, Capital Coating, Inc. loves to share its tips for keeping your roof in the best possible shape year-round. No time is better than spring to inspect your flat roof and do a little spring cleaning.
Your building’s roof has just been through a long, cold winter, and chances are, it’s been months since you’ve examined your drainage system or cleared debris from your roof surface. March through October can bring high temperatures, moisture, and summer storms to your roof, so having it in good repair is a must. If your flat roof is in need of repair or replacement, give your preferred local roofing contactor a call. Capital Coating, Inc. can be reached at (717) 442-0979.
Inspecting Your Flat Roof For Repairs After Winter
Flat roofs need regular inspections and preventive maintenance to keep functioning at peak efficiency. They have some unique risk factors due to their low or nonexistent slope – standing water, erosion, algae growth. Spring is a great time to do an annual examination of your commercial flat roof. Here are our tips for assessing your roof:
- Very carefully, with a sturdy ladder and a helper or spotter if possible, climb up on your roof and walk it in its entirety, looking for anything that seems out of place. Take note of cracks, wrinkling, bubbles, loose roofing material, etc. Good areas to focus on include the edges of your roofing material and anywhere were the material had to be cut and seamed (focus on flashing around pipes or HVAC equipment).
- Carefully examine the condition of the roofing material for worn spots, fraying, soft spots or dips, etc. Weather and environmental factors can deteriorate your roofing material in a variety of ways.
- If you have any equipment stored on the roof, make sure it is properly secured to the roof. Tighten any bolts and screws and make sure there is no room for movement in the event of severe weather.
- Since you’re already up there, do a little sprucing up. Over the winter, it is common for branches, leaves, dirt, and other debris to accumulate. Remove any clutter that doesn’t belong. Pay special attention to your rain gutters or water drainage system. Those heavy spring showers can cause a nasty surprise if your drains are clogged.
- Finally, if your building has an attic, inspecting your roof from within it can be a good idea. Look for light peeping through your roof or wet spots, which can indicate a leak. If you don’t have an attic, dark, discolored spots on your interior ceiling can be indicative of a leak.
Professional Flat Roof Repair with Capital Coating, Inc.
Commercial and industrial flat roofs require a special skill set to maintain and repair. If you have concerns about the condition of your commercial flat roof, hiring a full-service, licensed, insured roofing contractor like Capital Coating, Inc. is your best bet. Our 20+ years of experience are invaluable when it comes to properly diagnosing and repairing all your flat roof problems. With Capital Coating, Inc., you can’t go wrong. Call us today and let us put our expertise to work for you – (717) 442-0979.